Ilex International has worked with mobile security research and consultancy specialist, Goode Intelligence, to develop a white paper which explores the increase in mobility – and why it’s still not fully accepted by the enterprise. For many, this is because they do not want to sacrifice the usability at the risk of inadequate security controls. With 80 percent of adults expected to have a smart phone by 2020, in the paper, Goode Intelligence looks at the future of mobile security and how a next generation security solution should operate – introducing Ilex International’s Sign&go Mobility Center.
Research suggests the number of smart mobile devices (SMDs) managed in the enterprise increased by 72 percent from 2014 to 2015. While a significant increase, this number shows that businesses are still not embracing mobile to its fullest potential and making devices more readily available in the workplace. This is due to a few issues and concerns held by IT departments that can severely impact mobile services in the enterprise:
- Technology constraints: How to navigate through the mixture of mobile platforms – especially when this may differ between employee-owned and company-owned devices/
- Security concerns: Considered by many the primary issue in . Ensuring mobile solutions comply with individual security policies can be problematic. An enterprise cannot directly control employee’s decisions when it comes to devices – and security may not always be an employee’s primary concern.
- Regulation: Most businesses will be governed by a combination of industry and state legislature. This has a significant impact on how an enterprise’ mobile security works.
So, what is the solution? There is no doubt enterprises face a significant challenge in providing improved applications through mobile. Goode Intelligence believes convenience, mobility and strengthened security all need to be considered factors – while meeting company legislation. Goode Intelligence has researched this topic in-depth since 2007 and considered five characteristics to be key to next generation mobile security:
- Focus on users: The user needs to be at the centre of design and user experience has to be a key focus
- Agile multi-factor authentication (MFA): Strong MFA must be integrated into any solution and able to support a number of authentication methods to meet user choice and enterprise security
- Mobile Single-Sign-On (SSO): Support for mobile Single-Sign-On (SSO) is essential for a modern enterprise mobile security solution in streamlining access to multiple services from a mobile device
- Protect data: Security policies usually enforce the protection of data both when stored and in transit and mobile should be no different
- Simplified unified security: Convenience and security needs both need to be met, so that organisations don’t need to find a way to integrate various security tools from multiple vendors
Ilex International’s Sign&go Mobility Center is a solution that combines all of the features of a modern mobile security solution without the pain of having to mix and match separate tools into a unified service. Find out more about this solution from Ilex International, stand 27 at IDM on Wednesday 22nd June.