Keep your computer current with the latest software updates and patches.
- Apply the latest security updates and patches to your software programs and OSs and enable automatic updates where possible to minimize exposure to vulnerabilities.
Protect yourself and your computer
- If you receive an email requesting personal or confidential information, do not respond or provide the information by clicking links or calling phone numbers specified in the message. Legitimate organizations like credit card companies and banks will never request this information via email.
- Beware of unexpected or strange-looking emails and instant messages (IMs) regardless of the sender. Never open attachments or click links in emails and IMs. If you trust the sender, scan the attachments before opening. Never provide personally identifiable information in your email or IM responses.
- Regularly check your bank, credit, and debit card statements to ensure that all transactions are legitimate.
- Beware of web pages requiring software installation. Scan downloaded programmes before executing them.
- Do not provide personal information to unsolicited requests for information over the Web.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you suspect an email is spam, delete it immediately. Reject all IMs from people you do not know.
- When shopping, banking, or conducting other transactions online, make sure the website address contains an s, as in “https://www.bank.com.”
Protect your mobile device.
- Use your smartphone’s built-in security features.
- Avoid using free but unsecured Wi-Fi access.
- Scrutinize every app you download, including other users’ reviews and the reputation of the developer, regardless of source.
- Understand the permissions or capabilities you are allowing an app to have on your smartphone before accepting them.
- Consider investing in a mobile security app.
Manage your passwords in a secure manner.
- Use completely random but memorable phrases as passwords instead of short, simple, and easy-to-guess ones.
- Avoid using the same password for all your login needs. For instance, do not use the same password for your bank and social network accounts.
- Change your password every few months.
- Consider using password managers.
TrendMicro are a silver sponsor at this year’s Whitehall Media Enterprise Cloud Computing & Virtualization conference, to be held at the Hotel Russell, London, on 7th March.